Community Involvement

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 3 23:14:44 EDT 2011

[Ccs appreciated]

After some three years labor I (@holdenweb) at last find myself approaching the completion of the Python Certificate Series with O'Reilly School of Technology (@OReillySchool).

At OSCON last week the team fell to talking about the final assignment (although the Certificate is not a certification, students only progress by answering real quiz questions, not the usual multiple-choice task). Success also requires that they complete a project at the end of each (of the ~60) lesson(s).

We would ideally like the last project to to be something that demonstrates at least some minimal involvement with the Python community. Something like "get a Python answer upvoted on StackOverflow", for example, or getting a question answered on c.l.p. At the same time it shouldn't be anything that places a burden on the community (otherwise the hundredth student would be abused and the thousandth murdered).

So I wondered if anyone had any good ideas.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden