Convert '165.0' to int

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Mon Aug 1 20:32:32 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: python-list-bounces+ramit.prasad=jpmchase.com at python.org [mailto:python-list-bounces+ramit.prasad=jpmchase.com at python.org] On Behalf Of Gregory Ewing
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:05 PM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: Convert '165.0' to int

Frank Millman wrote:

> I know I am flogging a dead horse here, but IMHO, '165', '165.',
> '165.0', and '165.00' are all valid string representations of the
> integer 165.[1]
>
> Therefore, for practical purposes, it would not be wrong for python's
> 'int' function to accept these without complaining.

How far would you go with that? Would you also accept
'1.65e2' as a valid representation of the integer 165?

--
Greg
--

No, YAGNI (You Aren't Going To Need It). Do the minimum that works for your use case. If you only expect ###.# then code for that. Avoid trying to over-engineer your solution. *If* you think you are going to receive information that might be like '1.65e2' then code for it, otherwise spend your time working on other problems.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423