Python competitions and learnings

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Sat Apr 30 19:02:08 EDT 2011

Terry Reedy wrote:
>> And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
>> make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/

>> What do you think about it?

> Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
> instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
> that is what I routinely use ;-).

> In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python,

I agree on all points, as well I would offer the suggestion to have
parallel examples (in some cases) to help those trying to merge over to
Python3.

But the most important point is that new users should start with 3.x,
and should be encouraged to in that direction alone. I am finding it
very frustrating trying to make all of the details changes solid in my
mind for 3.x because there are so many of them for one, and for another
because the details are so similar all at the same time. *Do not*
confuse new learners with 2.x unless there is a point to it... for
instance in our previous discussion of iterables-- noting that next() is
the same for both versions, but in 2.x next(N) means N.next() and in
version 3.x next(N) means N.__next__().

Otherwise, have new students hit 3.x running and never look back.

kind regards,
m harris