Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Martin Schöön martin.schoon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 05:15:59 EDT 2011

On 2011-04-30, Hans Georg Schaathun <hg at schaathun.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:21:58 -0700 (PDT), CM
>  <cmpython at gmail.com> wrote:
>:  While we're on the topic, when should a lone developer bother to start
>:  using
>:  a VCS?  At what point in the complexity of a project (say a hobby
>:  project, but
>:  a somewhat seriousish one, around ~5-9k LOC) is the added complexity
>:  of
>:  bringing a VCS into it worth it?
>
> You are asking the wrong question.  It depends relatively little on the
> number of lines, and much more on what you are likely to do with it.

You guys are very code focused, which is natural given where we are.

Having absorbed what I have seen here, looked a little at Mercurial,
read a little on the webs of Fossil and Bazaar I start to think there
is great merit in all this VCS stuff for other types of projects.

At work my projects contain very little coding (some Python, some
matlab/scilab perhaps) but a fair amount of CAD/CAE, written
reports, presentations (OpenOffice and that other Office),
spread sheets etc etc. A mixture of ascii-files and various
proprietary formats most of which is stored in binary form.
Some of the CAE-work generate pretty big files stored
in dynamically created subdirectories.

Our computer environment is mostly based on Vista and Suse Linux
and I still have a SUN Solaris machine in my office but probably
not for long.

Given this type of scenario, what VCS tools should I consider?
Still the Mercurial/Git/Bazaar/Fossil crowd? Any one of those
ruled out and then why?

/Martin