How to build an application in Django which will handle Multiple servers accross network

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Apr 29 08:21:07 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 13:24 +0200, Paul Kölle wrote:
> Am 29.04.2011 12:01, schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> >> 3. The web based application will be used internally in the network to
> >> moniter servers in that network only.
> > You mean like OpenNMS or ZenOSS?
> >> 4. Web based application will be a real time application with a
> >> Database.
> > Like OpenNMS or ZenOSS?
> How can they be realtime if they generate static images?

All images are static regardless of how much they pretend not to be.
You can refresh as much as you like.  But a graph shows a progression
over time so there is always an interval.

> >> 5. Technology I am thingking for web based application is Django and
> >> Python as this web application can also be installed on Windows or
> >> Linux based OS.
> > If you want real-time monitoring you *must* build a service; a 'web app'
> > can *not* do that.
> Do you mean an agent?

No, just use WMI over the wire.  Agents are terrible, hard to develop,
unreliable, and everyone hates agents.  The systems already provide you
access to the information you are talking about.

> >> 6. Also please suggest which third party tool for chatrs and graphs I
> >> should use with Django (open source + paid)
> > ZenOSS and OpenNMS do graphs using RRD.
> I know this is the "standard" but IMO it's totally backward these days.
> Correlating or selecting/deselecting certain values is painful
>(you have to write a graph def)

How is it painful?  Of course you have to create a graph definition - in
your case you are creating a graph definition BY WRITING CODE!  There
couldn't be a more painful way to just create a graph.

Have you used recent versions of ZenOSS?  Graph definitions can be
created right in the UI.

> . With <canvas> and modern JS libs like raphael
> there are better ways to do this. Just look at google analytics.

I've seen it.  I don't see how it is "better".  It's a graph.

> It looks like PCP (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/features.html) will
> gain a JSON interface shortly. That would be awesome because PCP is
> developed by real engineers and has a proper architecture and is NOT a
> CPU sucking monstrosity of PERL-line-noise + a few hacked-together PHP
> frontends.

I have no idea where the "PERL-line-noise + a few hacked-together PHP
frontend" comment comes from.  RRD is written in C.  OpenNMS is Java and
ZenOSS is Python/ZOPE.

And as for "CPU sucking monstrosity" that is what everyone says... until
they try to build a monitoring application... and thus create their own
"CPU sucking monstrosity".  This is a case of
those-who-refuse-to-use-are-doomed-to-reinvent.