[OT] Comparing VCS tools

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Apr 27 15:13:37 EDT 2011

On 04/26/2011 09:45 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Tim Chase<python.list at tim.thechases.com>  writes:
>> Bazaar (bzr)
>> ============
>> Cons:
>> - was slow, though I understand they've worked on improving this
>
> Right, that's not a count against Bazaar for at least the last several
> versions (since 2009 at least). Bazaar is easily fast enough for
> anything people use, say, Mercurial for.

Glad to hear.  That was my biggest beef with bzr when I tried it
(c. 2008), so if they've got that working well, it's worth my
time to revisit.  Do you have a reference for timing improvements
against version number ("in version x.y, action Z took N ms; in
version x.[y+1], action Z took N-M ms")?  I'm running Debian
Stable and sometimes it takes a little while for these features
to trickle down.  But I *hope* changes in 2009 would have made it
in by now :)

>> Git (git)
>> =========
>> Pros:
>> - good documentation (though somewhat scattered)
>
> Hmm. Can't really overcome the rampant NIH syndrome: there is a lot that
> shouldn't *need* so much documentation if the interface were better
> designed from the start. I wouldn't count this as a pro for Git.

Yeah, I've encountered that aspect of the abundant documentation
on Git. :)

>> So that said, I've become a Mercurial user because the interface was
>> close to SVN which I used previously, and it was speedy on my older
>> machines. If bzr has come up to comparable speed, I'd be game to probe
>> it again.
>
> I recommend doing so.

Thanks for giving me something to do this weekend. :)

-tkc