Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 05:33:55 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant
<jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
> For a single user, there would be no merge issue. And svn is very simple to
> use.
> That would not be a such bad advice for a beginner with VCS systems.

As someone who for years had "nightly backups and renamed files" as
his only VCS, I would advise beginners to pick up a VCS that they can
learn, master, and then use widely, not one that will be restricted to
solo work (forcing them to learn a different system when they join
some other project). There's no particular benefit in learning older
systems, is there? (I never learned CVS or SVN; my first is git, and
it's the only one I've used to any great extent.)

Oh, and rolling your own VCS can work in specific situations, but it's
probably going to work out a lot more efficient to use a well-known
one, even if it does have a learning curve. I have a few places where
I should probably migrate things to git.

Chris Angelico