Vectors

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Tue Apr 26 07:26:33 EDT 2011

On Monday 25 April 2011 20:49:34 Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2:43 pm, Andreas Tawn <andreas.t... at ubisoft.com>
wrote:

> > > NumPy has array (and matrix) types with support for these
> > > basic operations you mention. See the tutorial
> > > athttp://numpy.scipy.org/
> >
> > You might also want to
> > considerhttp://code.google.com/p/pyeuclid/
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Drea
>
> Stealing this from Casey Duncan's recent post to the Grease
> users list:
>

> - (ab)use complex numbers for 2D vectors (only). Very fast
> arithmetic and built-in to Python. Downside is lack of
> abstraction.
>
> - Use pyeuclid (pure python) if ultimate speed isn't an
> issue, or if compiled extensions are. It supports 3D and has
> a nice api
>
> - vectypes is a more recent project from the same author as
> pyeuclid. It offers a more consistent 'GLSL' like interface,
> including swizzling, and internally seems to have more
> maintainable code because it generates various sizes of
> vector and matrix from a single template. This is done
> without performance penalty because the generation is done
> at design time, not runtime.
>
> - Use pyeigen if you want fast vectors, and don't mind
> compiling some C/C++. I don't know how the Python api looks
> though
>
> - Use numpy if you want fast batch operations
Jonathan,

Thank you for a nice and extensive list of references. To
clarify my position - surprisingly, speed is not an issue- I've
programmed a matrix in pure python (3, but mainly iwth python 2
syntax) and found that inversion was quite fast enough for my
requirements.

Good vector algebra is necessary for 3 D frame analysis, so a
vector package is indicated.  numpy is great, but it is a tool
like a sledge to drive a nail...

OldAl.
--
Algis