Teaching Python

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Fri Apr 22 02:04:55 EDT 2011

Westley Martínez wrote:
> But really, hack
>>  >has always been a negative term.  It's original definition is chopping,
>>  >breaking down, kind of like chopping down the security on someone elses
>>  >computer.  Now I don't know where the term originally came from, but the
>>  >definition the media uses is quite a fair use.

Not so much...

... the term hacker was coined at the MIT lab back in the days of the
PDP-10 /11.   We can thank RMS, and friends.

http://stallman.org/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?path=/articles/on-hacking.html&term=hacking&type=norm&case=0

RMS coined the term "Cracker" for the pejorative use.

Hackers cause no harm; ever.   Hackers are elegant ethical people who
love the craft for the sake of the craft and the beauty of their art.

Hackers do have a disdain for "Herbert," (if you're a Trek-ie you know
what I mean)    ...and hackers love to taunt Herbert...

Herbert...!  Herbert...!  Herbert...!

  /\
/  \
----

Hackers are free and insist on freedom. Hackers would rather count on
their fingers than be forced to use proprietary closed systems and
software.  Hackers have no use for IBM, nor Microsoft.  (nor google)

I am and forever will be a joyful hacker....   :)

PS   The media is clueless...   (Herbert... Herbert... Herbert...)