Teaching Python

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Apr 21 00:02:08 EDT 2011

Ben Finney, 20.04.2011 02:06:
> Dan Stromberg writes:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM, geremy condra wrote:
>>> When you say 'hacking', you mean.... ?
>>
>> Presumably he meant the real meaning of the word, not what the press
>> made up and ran with.
>
> To be fair, the press already had its own pejorative meaning of “hack”
> before the engineering and computing term

Not anywhere outside of the English language that I'm aware of, though. In
German, it's a computing-only term that's used in both contexts by those
who understand why the pointer is moving over the screen when moving the
mouse, and almost exclusively in a bad context by those who write news
paper articles (and, consequently, by those who innocently read them).

Stefan