Problem receiving UDP broadcast packets.

Sherm Pendley sherm.pendley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 06:07:21 EDT 2011

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:

> I'm trying to implement a device discovery/configuration protocol that
> uses UDP broadcast packets to discover specific types of devices on
> the local Ethernet segment.  The management program broadcasts a
> discovery command to a particular UDP port.  All devices who get that
> packet are expected to answer regardless of thier current IP address.

Have you looked at the source for Apple's Bonjour?

  <http://developer.apple.com/opensource/>
  <http://opensource.apple.com/source/mDNSResponder/mDNSResponder-258.18/>

Might be interesting to see how it does announcement/discovery. Or maybe
just use it directly, if this happens to be a case of "gee, I didn't
know that wheel had already been invented." :-)

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley
                                   <http://camelbones.sourceforge.net>