IDLE bug

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Tue Apr 19 23:39:28 EDT 2011

Terry Reedy wrote:
> If one is new to Python and perhaps not sure, or should not be sure,
> then I prefer that one ask here for a second opinion.

Thanks Terry. I am not new to Python, but I am new to Python3, and I'm
also relatively new to IDLE. Typically I edit with vi, test on the
terminal, and run on the server. I have been using IDLE more these days,
and also working more with Tk, so I've run into a couple little minor
snags.  Anyway, sorry, I'm digressing a bit...as usual.

Here is the bug, for a second opinion:

Under some circumstances, which I will detail later down the note, if I
click File --> Close without explicitly saving, and without running the
module with Run --> Run Module , then the last changes I made to the
file do not get saved. The save dialogue pop-up does appear, and I do
select YES--- I want to save before closing--- but when I re-open the
file (IDLE or vi) the changes are not there... as though the save
binding did not work, or like there was some timing glitch that
prevented the save somehow before the edit window closed down. The error
is not solid, in that, if the file is larger (significantly) then the
File --> Close (select Yes on the dialogue) does work... ??

The work around is to do either 1) run the module, or 2) explicitly
click File --> Save.

The alleged bug can be reproduced on both of my primary desk machines,
Linux systems, using IDLE on 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2/  These are the
instructions for reproducing this little snag:

1) Open a new edit window with File --> New Window

2) Enter the following code on the first two lines:
def testfunc():
     return None

3) Click File --> Save    ( testit.py )

4) Click File --> Close

5) Open the file with  File --> Recent Files   ( select testit.py )

6) Use the edit window to place these three lines above testfunc:
############################
# comment block
##############################

7) Click    File --> Close

8) When the Save on Close dialogue appears select "Yes"

9) Re-open the file with   File --> Recent Files   ( select testit.py )

10) The comment block will not be there...  didn't save.

Well, there it is. Of course I must admit, I've used IDLE for months
without ever noticing this, so its really a nit... if I'm doing
something incorrect, let me know.  If it is something I can fix myself
let me know that too... I've compiled 2.7 and 3.2 from sources, 2.6 came
installed on my distro... which is another point to bring up actually,
because all three of them are using the same Tk libraries (8.5.x)

Thanks Terry.

kind regards,
m harris