3.2 test failures on Centos 5.6 (was Re: Noob Question)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 19 12:58:56 EDT 2011

On 4/19/2011 10:55 AM, Rob McGillivray wrote:

> I'm new to Python, and trying to get python 3.2 installed on Centos
> 5.6. When I run 'make test', I receive several errors.

Welcome to Python.

Newbie lesson 1: write an informative subject line that will catch the
attention of people who can answer. (I just happened to open this
because it is a slow day so far ;-).) Example:
   3.2 test failures on Centos 5.6
If you do not get any better answer than I can provide, I suggest
reposting with that subject (my changed line will not be visible to some
who have threads collapsed).

Lesson 2: provide all relevant info needed to answer. You did pretty
good, except: What are you trying to install? A public binary built by
someone else for Centos? Or one *you* compiled? If the latter, did you
use the official 3.2 source from the site or the latest 3.2.x source
from the hg repository? (If either, I suggest trying the other.)

 > The readme
> states that you can generally ignore messages about skipped tests,
> but as you can see below, some of the tests failed and a number were
> 'unexpected skips', so I'm not sure if I can go ahead with the
> install or need to perform further troubleshooting.

I have never built Python or used it on *nix, but I will give some
informed guesses ;-).

> The output of 'make test' is shown below:
>
> 5 tests failed: test_argparse test_distutils
> test_httpservers test_import test_zipfile

You need to run each of these in verbose mode to see who severe the
failure is. Test_import would be of most concern to me.

 > 11 skips
> unexpected on linux2: test_bz2 test_dbm_gnu test_dbm_ndbm test_gzip
> test_readline test_ssl test_tcl test_tk test_ttk_guionly
> test_ttk_textonly test_zlib

These look like things with 3rd party dependencies. tcl/tk/ttk tests
depend on finding tcl/tk installed. If you do not want to use the
modules, no problem. If you do,

 > sys:1: ResourceWarning: unclosed
> file<_io.TextIOWrapper name='/dev/null' mode='a' encoding='UTF-8'>
> make: *** [test] Error 1

This is a bug either in some test or in the Python shutdown procedure,
at least after running the tests. There were other things like this
fixed near the end of 3.2 development and it may be fixed now.

> Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if this post is to the wrong
> group. If so, please advise the appropriate group.

Right place to start. If there are Centos specific issues, you might
want to look for a Centos list.

--
Terry Jan Reedy