Python IDE/text-editor

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 17 16:31:09 EDT 2011

On 16Apr2011 10:59, Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se> wrote:
| On Sat, 2011-04-16, Alec Taylor wrote:
| > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
| > interpreter AND tabs...
| > emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
| > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
|
| Does it *have* to be tabs? Why? Both Emacs and Vim can have multiple
| files open, and have various powerful ways to navigate between them.

If I'm using tabs I tend to use a tabbed terminal emulator (Terminal or
iTerm on MacOSX of late), and run vi and shells and python interpreters
in various tabs. My normal programming workspace has two terminals side
by side - an editing terminal and a "running stuff" terminal.

I'm a vi/vim user, though that's just what my fingers are happy with.

I'm not an IDE person - I just make my work environment from my
preferred editor and some terminals (and, under X11, a good window
manager - I like FVWM). That way one can pick the pieces one likes
and use them together.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The more I ride the more I notice and the more fearful I become
        - somebody on rec.moto