Python IDE/text-editor

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 12:13:22 EDT 2011

Based on the comments here, it seems that emacs would have to be the
editor-in-chief for programmers. I currently use SciTE at work; is it
reasonable to, effectively, bill my employer for the time it'll take
me to learn emacs? I'm using a lot of the same features that the OP
was requesting (multiple files open at once, etc), plus I like syntax
highlighting (multiple languages necessary - I'm often developing
simultaneously in C++, Pike, PHP, and gnu make, as well as Python).

My current "main editors" are SciTE when I have a GUI, and nano when I
don't (over ssh and such). Mastering emacs would definitely take time;
I'm not really sure if I can justify it ("Chris, what did you achieve
this week?" "I learned how to get emacs to make coffee.")...

Chris Angelico