Python IDE/text-editor

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 15 23:32:04 EDT 2011

Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
> code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
> (for running from USB on Windows).

Either of Emacs <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> or Vim
<URL:http://www.vim.org/> are excellent general-purpose editors that
have strong features for programmers of any popular language or text
format.

They are available for every major OS, including MS Windows, are mature
and have enormous community support, and are free software and community
developed.

Learn either one, and you won't have to keep switching to different
editing tools for different programming tasks.

--
 \         “Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics. You can |
  `\        leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.” |