[OT] Free software versus software idea patents

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Apr 14 22:43:51 EDT 2011

In article <4da7a8f5$0$29986$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:50:24 -0700, Westley Martínez wrote:
>
> > Also, why aren't Opera and Google criticized for their proprietary
> > browsers (Chrome is essentially a proprietary front-end)? Is it because
> > their browsers follow web standards, or is it because we have demonized
> > Microsoft?
>
> A little of both.
>
> Personally, I think it is *good* that there is a plurality of browsers in
> the market. In my perfect world, no single browser should capture more
> than 20% share of users.

I was just thinking about this the other day.  The browser space is
currently a perfect example of why competition is good.  Just a few
years ago, IE dominated the market to the point where people developing
web applications could completely ignore all other browsers.

Now, while IE may still be the most popular, they've dropped under 50%
share, and falling, while Firefox and Chrome are still gaining.  It
won't be long before the three pretty much reach parity.  And, yeah,
Opera and Safari will continue to survive down in the single digits.

The upshot of this is that people writing web apps these days are much
more likely to be going for standards compliance then for "Works with
IE".  This is to everybody's benefit.  The app developers can
concentrate on building their apps, without wasting time fighting the
browser wars.  The browser makers are free to innovate in all sorts of
ways while having a fixed HTML target to shoot for in their rendering
engines.

Since everybody is working on the same HTML (yeah, OK, big handwave
there), new browser projects have a reduced barrier to entry.  I can
take a flyer and install some new browser to try it out, with a
reasonable expectation that it'll render the pages I go to in a
reasonable fashion.  It's been a long time since I've run across a page
that I just couldn't read in my favorite browser d'jour (modulo any
internal apps from Big Company IT Department that depend on Active-X).
Even if these projects fail, they sometimes have good idea which get
incorporated by the Firefoxes and Chromes of the world.