looking for libpython31.a 64bit (missing from python-3.1.3.amd64.msi)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:03:13 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Nathan Coulson <conathan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, as the subject says,  I am looking to find libpython31.a
> [win64bit version] for use in a linux to windows 64bit cross compiler
> [x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc],  but seems to be missing.
>
> so far,  tried installing it on a real 64bit windows system,
> cabextract, as well as msiexec /a python-3.1.3.amd64.msi /qb
> TARGETDIR=out.  Either case, libs/libpython31.a is not there.
>
> as a last resort, tried cross compiling it with my tools, but a few
> google searches tell me that way will lead to headaches, and currently
> not supported out of the box.

If you are willing to jump through a few oops. I have documented what
I needed last time I tried mingw-w64 for numpy:

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/MicrosoftToolchainSupport

If anything, it should be easier now because mingw-w64 is much more
stable can can be installed without being compiled first (I wrote
those notes almost 2 years ago IIRC),

cheers,

David