Postmortem on Unladen Swallow

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 16:42:06 EDT 2011

I'm not sure I'd call it a failure.

It didn't achieve the speedup they hoped for, but they did
successfully get CPython running overtop of LLVM.  That is, their
intended approach didn't pan out, but they successfully implemented
their approach.

And just as importantly, Pypy was looking like it'd take some years
more to make it useful in production, and would likely never be able
to run C extension modules - but now we know now that neither of these
is true.