[OT] Free software versus software idea patents

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Fri Apr 8 02:37:45 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> The reason Mono gets hit (from others besides me) is that they are in
>> >  partnership and collaboration with Microsoft, consciously and
>> >  unconsciously. This must be punished.
> Just like Python, Apache, and the Linux kernel. What are you going to do
> to punish them?

What do you mean 'just like"....?    They are nothing alike.

(which is why the community is upset by sone, but not the others: hint)

The punishment? ... withdraw support and use of the project as well as
continue to aggressively support activism in all areas of freedom for
computer science, including but not limited to the following:

1) I, nor my family, will ever purchase another Microsoft anything, from
anyone, connected in any way, nor for any reason. Microsoft gets no more
money from me, ever.

2) I do not use non-free software at any level nor for any reason at any
time regardless of pain or inconvenience.

3) I work hard to advocate for free software alternatives to proprietary
software at all levels... including bios and firmware.

4) I help to fund free software initiatives, choices, and development;
conversely I refuse to fund (in any way) proprietary software
initiatives and projects.

5) I educate the public in my sphere of influence for freedom and
freedom choices, including the software engineering venue, and whenever
possible persuade users of non-free software and Microsoft collaborative
software to use only free software and only frameworks that are removed
from Microsoft direction and control.

6) I actively advocate with vendors of free software at all levels to
drop non-free software from their distros and to similarly punish
Microsoft collaborative software initiatives and projects. (networking,
communication, education, awareness training)

7) I write lots and lots of letters... to computer distributors,
software houses, &etc., with the message of freedom; a plea for the
openness of a free society and sanity in the marketplace of ideas. I
make my marketing intentions clear to vendors who would like me to spend
my dollars with them ( cards, drivers, printers, cameras, comp hardware
desk, notebook, netbook, others) clearly indicating that their products
must be open, not require Microsoft proprietary drivers, and be free
from non-free software and firmware.

Freedom isn't free... you have to fight for it... always.