Guido rethinking removal of cmp from sort method

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 02:22:14 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 18:22:01 -0700, geremy condra wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> I don't understand what you mean by "this test".
>>
>> I mean testing whether a feature should be in Python based on whether it
>> can meet some undefined standard of popularity if implemented as a
>> third-party module or extension.
> [...]
>> Granted, but I think the implication is clear: that only those features
>> which could be successful if implemented and distributed by a third
>> party should be in Python.
>
> Ah, gotcha.
>
> I think you're reading too much into what I said -- I wasn't implying
> that community support is the only acceptable reason for the existence of
> features in Python.
>
> Development of Python is not a democracy, it is a meritocracy. It is
> designed by a small team of language developers, starting with Guido van
> Rossum. Those who do the work decide what goes in, based on whatever
> combination of factors they choose:

I think we're talking at cross purposes. The point I'm making is that
there are lots of issues where popularity as a third party module
isn't really a viable test for whether a feature is sufficiently
awesome to be in core python. As part of determining whether I thought
it was appropriate in this case I essentially just asked myself
whether any of the really good and necessary parts of Python would
fail to be readmitted under similar circumstances, and I think the
answer is that very few would come back in. To me, that indicates that
this isn't the right way to address this issue, although I admit that
I lack any solid proof to base that conclusion on.

Geremy Condra