PyVISA

Manatee markrrivet at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 22:24:58 EDT 2011

On Apr 1, 4:05 pm, "eryksun ()" <eryk... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 1, 2011 3:40:23 PM UTC-4, Manatee wrote:
>
> > Well, ok, I'll try some of that. But I am running window 7, not Linux.
> > The "sudo" command sounds like Linux.
>
> Again, there's a win32 exe installer available here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyvisa/files/PyVISA/1.3/PyVISA-1.3.wi...
>
> If your account is a standard user and the installer doesn't load a UAC prompt, you'll probably have to right-click it and choose to "Run as administrator".

Ok, I have the correct version. I can run "from visa import *" and get
no error. How ever when I run this command I get and error:

My_Instrument = instrument("GPIB::5")

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/Rivetmr/MyPythonScripts/My_GPIB.py", line 2, in
<module>
    my_instrument = instrument("GPIB::5")
  File "C:\Python27_32bit\lib\site-packages\pyvisa\visa.py", line 288,
in instrument
    vpp43.parse_resource(resource_manager.session, resource_name)
  File "C:\Python27_32bit\lib\site-packages\pyvisa\vpp43.py", line
777, in parse_resource
    byref(interface_board_number))
  File "C:\Python27_32bit\lib\site-packages\pyvisa\vpp43.py", line
398, in check_status
    raise visa_exceptions.VisaIOError, status
VisaIOError: VI_ERROR_INTF_NUM_NCONFIG: The interface type is valid
but the specified interface number is not configured.

My instrument is on GPIB 5 and I can do a *IDN? with another program
and get a response. So I must still have something not configured
correct. Getting closer though :)