Guido rethinking removal of cmp from sort method

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 1 13:06:03 EDT 2011

On 4/1/2011 2:13 AM, harrismh777 wrote:

> When I speak of implementation vs interface I am speaking from a
> strictly object oriented philosophy, as pedigree, from Grady Booch, whom
> I consider to be the father of Object Oriented Analysis and Design
> (Booch, OO A&D with apps, 1994).

Python is object based but not object oriented in the Booch sense.

> The Class interface holds a "special" firmness which fosters the client
> relationship of trust and assumption, without which OOA&D is pointless.
> The interface of a Class must not change once advertised, and once in
> production. This is specific to OOA&D.

Right, and Python is not OOA&D based.

> Never change an advertised Class interface.

In Python, class interfaces are no more sacred than module or function
interfaces. If one takes 'no interface change' literally, then Python
would have to be frozen. Even bug fixes change a defacto interface. If
you want frozon, stick with one particular release. There are lots
available.

--
Terry Jan Reedy