Restarting a daemon

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 08:13:21 EDT 2011

Not exactly a Python question, but I thought I would start here.

I have a server that runs as a daemon.  I can restart the server manually
with the command

myserver restart

This command starts a new myserver which first looks up the pid for the one
that is running and sends it a terminate signal.  The new one then
daemonizes itself.

I want the server to be able to restart itself.  Will it work to have
myserver issue "myserver restart" using os.system?  I fear that the new
myserver, which will be running in a subshell, will terminate the subshell
along with the old myserver when it sends the terminate signal to the old
myserver.  If so, what is the correct way to restart the daemon?  Will it
work to run the restart command in a subprocess rather than a subshell or
will a subprocess also terminate when its parent terminates?
--
Jeffrey Barish