Questions about GIL and web services from a n00b

Chris H chris.humphres at windsorcircle.com
Fri Apr 15 12:33:16 EDT 2011

So I'm in a startup where we are considering using python as our primary
development language for all the wonderful reasons you would expect.
However, I've had a couple of things come up from mentors and other
developers that is causing me to rethink whether python is the right
choice.  I hope this is the right list for this type of discussion
(please forgive me if not and point me in the right direction).

We are looking to build an e-commerce integration product so the
majority of our work will be linking external SOAP and REST based web
service API's to our own REST based API and backend database.    I have
had the following comments/questions come to me:

1. Are you sure you want to use python because threading is not good due
to the Global Lock (GIL)?  Is this really an issue for multi-threaded
web services as seems to be indicated by the articles from a Google
search?  If not, how do you avoid this issue in a multi-threaded process
to take advantage of all the CPU cores available?

2. Are there good web services frameworks available for building a REST
based service?  I admit I have looked at web2py, Django, pyramid/pylons,
and a few others.  SOAP seems to be pretty well supported but I'm not
finding the same for quick development of REST based services for
exchanging JSON or XML formatted data.  This is probably just my n00b
status, but what tools are best for building a simple REST data exchange
API?

Thanks,
Chris