Extracting "true" words

candide candide at free.invalid
Fri Apr 1 16:55:28 EDT 2011

Back again with my study of regular expressions ;) There exists a
special character allowing alphanumeric extraction, the special
character \w (BTW, what the letter 'w' refers to?). But this feature
doesn't permit to extract true words; by "true" I mean word composed
only of _alphabetic_ letters (not digit nor underscore).

So I was wondering what is the pattern to extract (or to match) _true_
words ? Of course, I don't restrict myself to the ascii universe so that
the pattern [a-zA-Z]+ doesn't meet my needs.