In List Query -> None Case Sensitive?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 1 08:49:17 EDT 2011

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:01:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Microsoft Word is not the best
> tool for... well, anything, probably.

Since I raised the issue of MS Word, I should throw in a defense for it.

After a break from using Word for about five years, when I exclusively
used OpenOffice for word processing, I had an work project where I had to
use Word extensively. I wouldn't say that Word is perfect by any means,
but its usability is *much* more polished than OpenOffice Writer. I find
myself cursing OpenOffice Writer for getting the little things wrong *all
the time*, while Word gets them right nearly always, and only
occasionally wrong. Word also has a deepness and richness of power that
I've only just begun to use, but is quite simple once you know where to
look.

I don't know if Word is "the best" word processor, but it's surely the
champion to beat. (Even if it does generate masses of bad HTML.)

On the other hand, Excel's usability is a dog. Give me OpenOffice's
spreadsheet any day.

(In fairness, I haven't used OpenOffice 3 much, so perhaps it is better.)

Anyway, these things are quite sensitive to tiny improvements and
breakages in the user-interface between versions and platforms, so YMMV.

--
Steven