"Strong typing vs. strong testing"

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Thu Sep 30 12:06:52 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-30, Pascal Bourguignon <pjb at invitado-174.medicalis.es> wrote:
> Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nospam at hotmail.com> writes:
>> do you have any evidence that this is actually so? That people who
>> program in statically typed languages actually are prone to this "well
>> it compiles so it must be right" attitude?

> Yes, I can witness that it's in the mind set.

Huh.

So here I am, programming in statically typed languages, and I have never
in my life thought that things which compiled were necessarily right.  Not
even when I was an arrogant teenager.

I guess I don't exist.  *sob*

> Well, the problem being always the same, the time pressures coming from
> the sales people (who can sell products of which the first line of
> specifications has not been written yet, much less of code), it's always
> a battle to explain that once the code is written, there is still a lot
> of time needed to run tests and debug it.

At $dayjob, they give us months between feature complete and shipping,
because they expect us to spend a lot of time testing, debugging, and
cleaning up.  But during that time we are explicitly not adding features...

> But my point is that at least with dynamic programming languages,
> there's an alternative mindset and it is easier to implement such
> a scheme than with static programming languages.

I think this grossly oversimplifies things.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net