System idle time under Linux

Ifrit ifrit at underground
Thu Sep 30 04:22:31 EDT 2010

Ifrit heeft het volgende neergekrabbeld:

> Hugo Léveillé heeft het volgende neergekrabbeld:
>

>> Thanks, will take a closer look on that
>>
>> But to get me started, how would you get, via python, the info from that
>
> From a unix command prompt use the cat command to view their contents.
> You'll notice that they plain text files with very informative content:
>
>  # cat /proc/stat

And the man proc command gives info on the format of the content:

/proc/stat

              kernel/system statistics.  Varies with architecture.  Common
entries include:

              cpu  3357 0 4313 1362393
                     The  amount of time, measured in units of USER_HZ
(1/100ths of a second on most architectures,
                     use sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK) to obtain the right value),
that the system spent in user mode,  user
                     mode  with  low priority (nice), system mode, and the
idle task, respectively.  The last value
                     should be USER_HZ times the second entry in the uptime
pseudo-file.

                     In Linux 2.6 this line includes three additional
columns: iowait - time  waiting  for  I/O  to
                     complete  (since  2.5.41); irq - time servicing
interrupts (since 2.6.0-test4); softirq - time
                     servicing softirqs (since 2.6.0-test4).

                     Since Linux 2.6.11, there is an eighth column, steal -
stolen time, which is the time spent in
                     other operating systems when running in a virtualized
environment

                     Since  Linux 2.6.24, there is a ninth column, guest,
which is the time spent running a virtual
                     CPU for guest operating systems under the control of
the Linux kernel.

              page 5741 1808
                     The number of pages the system paged in and the number
that were paged out (from disk).

              swap 1 0
                     The number of swap pages that have been brought in and
out.

              intr 1462898
                     This line shows counts of interrupts serviced since
boot time, for each of the possible system
                     interrupts.   The first column is the total of all
interrupts serviced; each subsequent column
                     is the total for a particular interrupt.

              disk_io: (2,0):(31,30,5764,1,2) (3,0):...
                     (major,disk_idx):(noinfo, read_io_ops, blks_read,
write_io_ops, blks_written)
                     (Linux 2.4 only)

              ctxt 115315
                     The number of context switches that the system
underwent.

              btime 769041601
                     boot time, in seconds since the Epoch (January 1,
1970).

              processes 86031
                     Number of forks since boot.

              procs_running 6
                     Number of processes in runnable state.  (Linux 2.5.45
onwards.)

              procs_blocked 2
                     Number of processes blocked waiting for I/O to
complete.  (Linux 2.5.45 onwards.)

--
Ifrit
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifriet