About __class__ of an int literal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Sep 29 14:46:18 EDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 8:34 AM, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano<steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au>  writes:

>>> __file__ is another exception.

>> As are __iter__, __next__, __add__, __dict__, and, yes, __class__, to
>> say nothing of all the other special methods.

I strongly disagree.

> I think by "person using instances of a class" Terry referred to the
> user of a class as opposed to the implementor.

Yes.

>  In that sense the user
> should be calling iter(foo) instead of foo.__iter__(), next(foo) instead
> of foo.__next__(), and foo+bar instead of foo.__add__(bar).

Yes. Guido added iter() and next() to the list of built-in functions,
even though they seem reduncant.. I believe it is his intention that the
use of special names outside of class statements should be fairly rare.

If I remember right, in the old, pre-2.2 system that separated built-in
types and user-written classes, the builtins did not have accessible
special method attributes. They are only for customizing user classes.
So one could not have generically written foo.__add__(bar).
Special-method attribute were added to builtins so that they could be
inherited (or replaced) by user-written subclasses, not so that one
could replace normal syntax.

 >  Direct
> calls to special-name methods, such as __len__, often indicate that the
> programmer hasn't grasped how those methods are intended to be used in
> Python.

Right. That fact that *Python* interpreters implement syntax with
special methods is an implementation detail of the *language*. The
importance is that it allow *writers* of new classes to rather easily
imitate built-in classes so that their classes seamlessly plug into the
syntax.

--
Terry Jan Reedy