Python 2.7 installation problem

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Sep 28 15:30:29 EDT 2010

In article
<AANLkTim=KdPMjm84fi+ez4JMSmAb_znwGArRUnTUrbvR at mail.gmail.com>,
 Ronald Guida <oddron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I have one additional piece of information that might be helpful to
> others.  I have discovered that the *.so files that were not installed, were
> actually installed to the ~/lib/python2.6/ folder instead of the
> ~/lib/python2.7/ folder where they belong.
>
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Ronald Guida <oddron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Solved -- "make install" failed to actually install a subset of files.  I
> > had to manually copy them instead.
> >
> > Specifics:
> > I started from /home/oddron/installers/python/Python-2.7/ and executed the
> > usual commands:
> > $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> > $ make
> > $ make install
> >
> > I have found that the installer failed to install the contents of
> > "/home/oddron/installers/python/Python-2.7/build/lib.linux-i686-2.7/",
> > which contains *.so files.  This explains why "import collections" would
> > work from
> > the built python in /home/oddron/installers/python/Python-2.7/, but would
> > fail in the installed
> > python in /home/oddron/bin/ .
> >
> > I manually copied the contents of
> > "/home/oddron/installers/python/Python-2.7/build/lib.linux-i686-2.7/",
> > to /home/oddron/lib/python2.7/ and now everything seems to work.

Works for me on a current Debian "testing" system and elsewhere.  Any
problem in this area is almost surely due to contamination of the build
environment by an environment variable setting or possibly something in
$HOME/.pydistutils.cfg or not starting with a clean   If you still have
the build directory, examine the configured Makefile for suspicious
values, particularly DESTSHARED.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org