Python in Linux - barrier to Python 3.x

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 05:57:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve at remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>> Typically, if your want to install say
>> matplotlib with pygtk with a custom built python, you are in for a fun
>> ride because you have to rebuild everything.
>
> That's not what I consider a typical case. But I take your point.

It is an acute problem in the numpy/scipy community, and I think it
generalizes to any community which depends quite a bit on C
extensions. I am convinced that the only solution that can work in
those cases is *more* integration with native solutions, not less.

That's why I worry when people suggest to *only* focus on making
python-only solutions. Of course, python-specific solutions are fine
as long as they don't make it more difficult to support the
native-integration goal (which sadly has been the trend up to now).

cheers,

David