lists and list item matches (ghost wodgame)

Baba raoulbia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 13:25:27 EDT 2010

On Sep 23, 4:17 pm, nn <prueba... at latinmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 10:56 am, nn <prueba... at latinmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi nn,
>
> > > looking at my original code again i realise that having a raw_input
> > > inside a FOR loop is flawed per se (at least for my purposes) so i
> > > will just assume that i was taking the wrong approach initially. No
> > > point in analysing it further. Thanks for your help.
>
> > > Baba
>
> > Since you seem to have figured it out I will post my version (python
> > 3):
>
> > wordlist = ['hello', 'hamburger', 'bye']
> > inp=''
> > while any(word.startswith(inp) and word!=inp for word in wordlist):
> >     inp += input('enter letter: ')
> > print('you lose')
>
> > The reason why your original version didn't work was because each time
> > you add a letter you have to go again over all words (in reality only
> > a subset is required) and find a new one. Your version would find one
> > word using the first letter and then exit.
>
> Actually my version isn't right (for some values of right):
>
> wordlist = ['hello', 'hamburger', 'bye']
> inp=''
> while any(word.startswith(inp) for word in wordlist) and (inp not in
> wordlist):
>     inp += input('enter letter: ')
> print('you lose')
>
> An explanation of how this changes the rules of the wordgame is left
> as an exercise to the reader.

Hi,

for now i will stick to Python2.7 but thank you for sharing.

for learning purposes i still want to figure out a way to solve this
without built-in function ('any' in this case). My understanding was
that in programming almost anything can be done with IF, FOR and WHILE
statements. However i turn in circles...:( i understand that in my
original code my while loop locked me into the first word hello if the
first letter was 'h' and therefore if the next letter was 'a' it would
break...so far so good but this appears really tricky to solve...here
is what i have come up with but it will not exit if for example i
enter 'x' ...

wordlist = ['hello', 'bye']
hand = ''
while hand not in wordlist:
    hand += raw_input('enter letter: ')
    print hand
    for item in wordlist:
        if not item.startswith(hand):
            break
print 'you lose'

but no matter how i turn this around i can't find the magic
approach...i was thinking about starting the code with something like
"while (something) is True" ... would that be a right approach?

Baba