Scheduling in python

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Thu Sep 23 11:30:21 EDT 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010, it occurred to loial to exclaim:
> I want to enable my end users to be able to schedule a task(actually
> running another python or shell script). Rather than scheduling it
> directly in cron, are there any python modules I could use?

If you have a "master" process running -- it strongly depends on how that
process is structured. Is there a main loop? What does it look like? Is it
provided by some toolkit? Maybe that toolkit has an alarm event?
In the end, there isn't much too it: periodically check if "it's time", and
then possibly do something.
I doubt there's a package to do this. The basics are trivial to implement, and
everything depends strongly on the program structure, which could vary
greatly.