Python in Linux - barrier to Python 3.x

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Sep 22 02:46:20 EDT 2010

On 9/21/2010 11:42 AM, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article<87zkvbytnk.fsf at web.de>, deets at web.de (Diez B. Roggisch)
> wrote:
>> The point is that the distro doesn't care about the python eco
>> system. Which is what I care about, and a lot of people who want to ship
>> software.
>
> I don't think that is totally accurate or fair.  There is regular
> participation in the python-dev group by packagers from various distros.
> For example, Matthias Klose is not only the primary Debian Python
> maintainer, he is also has commit privileges for Python itself and he
> regularly contributes patches.  Currently, I see current Python 2.6.6
> and 3.1.2 packages in Debian testing with current Python 2.7 and Python
> 3.2 alpha coming along in Debian experimental.

    Debian seems to have a well worked out Python policy:

	http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

They address the need to have multiple versions of Python on
the same machine in a reasonably clean way.  So do the ActiveState
people, although their way is different than the Debian way.

Trying to make Python play well with distros is probably
more useful than trying to make distros play well with Python.
Rather than fancier "distutils" or "eggs", I'd suggest developing
tools that take in "setup.py" files and make Windows installers,
RPMs, or whatever the platform likes.

				John Nagle