Down with tinyurl!

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Tue Sep 21 13:57:34 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> writes:

> I prefer the old fashioned version:
>
> "Google Is Your Friend"
>
> followed by a URL to the appropriate google's search results page. Or
> even more to the point:
>
> "Did you bother to google for the answer first? Because the very first
> page that comes up gives exactly the answer you want."
>
> Although sometimes people genuinely don't know what search terms they
> should be using, or if they're too generic.

Yes, exactly. I agree 100% with you (including the microsecond amusement
value of lmgtfy). Besides the link to the SERP I also provide a link to
what I consider the best result found on that page. Sometimes people
were able to find the result, and thought it was not right. Or were not
able to find the best solution out of the hundreds offered by
Google. And some people are ashamed of telling that they have used
Google, and couldn't find it.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/