Customising Tk widgets

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 03:12:48 EDT 2010

On Sep 20, 6:44 pm, Peter <peter.milli... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Windoze, I suspect the appearance attributes I am asking
> about here are platform dependent?

not really.

> Using Tkinter, I would like to generate a Checkbutton that is filled
> in with a solid colour rather than a tick mark when selected.

Why, who cares if it's a check or solid box.

> Could somebody provide some pointers as to how I could achieve this?

Ok, Ok, if you *really* need to see this just create a custom widget
using either the canvas or a couple of Label widgets. (psst: i would
use the canvas) For extra credit you could create a custom "ChoiceBox"
widget. Which is a scrollable box containing an unlimited number of
check buttons.

> Also, John Shipman's Tkinter reference shows the Radiobutton drawn as
> a diamond and yet when I create one in Windows I get a circle - again,
> how and where do I need to look to change this behaviour?

Hmm, me thinks John ist using Linistz, at least me thinks?