Down with tinyurl! (was Re: importing excel data into a pythonmatrix?)

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Tue Sep 21 01:11:37 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:01:53 +0000, Seebs wrote:
>> On 2010-09-21, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then I posted a question on an IRC channel.  I had done a ton of
>> searching already, and I started by explaining the top three
>> near-solutions I'd found and why each of them wasn't actually a solution
>> to my problem.  And someone handed me a URL... which was to lmgtfy on
>> the first search terms I tried.

> Yes, although in fairness people aren't mind readers. If you (generic
> you) don't give any indication of doing the research, you can expect to
> be ignored or told to RTFM. Google is just the new FM.

See above -- "I started by explaining..."

> Although sometimes people genuinely don't know what search terms they
> should be using, or if they're too generic.

Yes.  A few of my friends periodically ask me to search for something
because somehow my pick of search terms tends to work better than theirs.
We're not actually sure why.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net