visual studio 2010 question

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:11:01 EDT 2010

On 9/20/10 3:54 PM, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> David Cournapeau<cournape at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ralf Haring<haring at preypacer.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
>>> to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
>>> little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
>>> support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
>>> for when Studio 2010 will be supported?
>>>
>>> I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
>>> 3.X didn't support it yet either.
>>
>> You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
>> first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
>> build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
>> you are better off with VS 2008,
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
> for standard python distributions. After all, it's C we're talking here,
> not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
> problem. So - which problems you expect?

VS2010 uses a different C runtime DLL than VS2008 and Python 2.6, and I believe
this cannot be changed. This will cause errors for a variety of Python extension
modules. mingw can be retargeted to link against one of several different C
runtimes, including the one VS2008 uses.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco