os.path.normcase rationale?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 14:45:37 EDT 2010

On 15/09/2010 22:12, Ben Finney wrote:
> Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk>  writes:
>
>> I'm curious as to why, with a file called "Foo.txt"
>> os.path.normcase('FoO.txt') will return "foo.txt" rather than
>> "Foo.txt"?
>
> What kind of answer are you looking for?
>
> A direct answer would be: it does that because on case-insensitive
> filesystems, it doesn't matter what the case is, so there's no need for
> anything more complex than all lowercase.

Well, no, that doesn't feel right. Normalisation of case, for me, means
"give me the case as the filesystem thinks it should be", not "just
lowercase it all". This makes a difference; I hit it by way of version
pinning in buildout, the culprit being setuptools calling normcase on
distributions found on the filesystem on Windows. Buildout's version
pinning is case sensitive (arguably a bug) and so doesn't work when
setuptools's use of normcase ends up with he distribution name being
lowercased, even though the case is correct on the file system...

>> Yes, I know the behaviour is documented
>
> The docstring is fairly poor, IMO. You might want to submit a bug report
> to improve it.

I think it would have been a lot more confusing had it not been
mentioned that it was just lowercasing everything...

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk