develop for Windows on GNU/Linux, using Python

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Mon Sep 20 12:46:07 EDT 2010

On Monday 20 September 2010, it occurred to Default User to exclaim:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 14:31, J.O. Aho <user at example.net> wrote:
> > Kev Dwyer wrote:
> > > if you have C-extensions in
> > > your code you'll need to compile them over Windows.  If you want to
> > > program against the Windows API you'll need access to a Windows box.
> >
> > You can always cross compile, not only over OS but even CPU architecture,
> > but
> > of course testing will be more difficult, on x86 based Linux you can use
> > wine
> > or similar to test, but can give you some differences to run on a native
> > or virtualized instance.
>
> < sigh > . . .
>
> Well, that's about what I expected, unfortunately.   But thanks for the
> honest replies.
>
> [OT]
> So what's the alternative -- use the end user's browser as an interpreter
> for JavaScript or HTML5?
> [/OT]

Umn, what?

Python makes it rather easy to write portable code. But you still need to test
it properly on all platforms you want to support, because maybe there's some
platform-specific glitch you weren't aware of.

If you use web technologies, then you really have to test against browsers
such as Opera, Safari, and Microsoft IE. Same difference, really.

If you're doing something that requires C extensions to Python, things get
more complicated, and probably impossible with web technologies.