Too much code - slicing

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Mon Sep 20 01:04:22 EDT 2010

AK <andrei.avk at gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/19/2010 10:32 PM, John Bokma wrote:
>> AK<andrei.avk at gmail.com>  writes:

>>> One definite advantage would be that if, say, it takes you 70 pages of a
>>> given novel to figure out whether you like it enough to continue, you'd
>>> want to read those pages in 2 minutes rather than an hour.
>>
>> Heh, to me speed reading those 70 pages in a very short while,
>> concluding that it's a good book, and start over again would be quite
>> the spoiler. Do you fast forward movies as well?
>
> I honestly doubt it would be a spoiler if it's a good book. Generally I
> find that poor books rely on twists and turns while better ones rely on
> the fabric of story-telling. Aside from that, though, it's a very
> interesting question - I'll try to think of good books and see if they'd
> be spoiled by peeking in the first 70 pages.. Starting with children's
> books, Peter Pan and Wind in the Willows, I think, would not be. Don
> quixote would not be. Crime and punishment - maybe if you get as far as
> the murder? Same author's the Devils, I would say you can read the last
> 70 pages and it'd be just as good :). -ak

I didn't mean that there are spoilers in the first 70 pages, just that
to me the excercise would spoil the book, so, I wouldn't do it. I
consider a book like a meal, I wouldn't gobble down food, regurgitate
it, and eat it again at a slower pace. Books, movies, family, walks are
the things I prefer to do at a normal mudane pace, or even slower, if I
can bring myself to it. My favourite books I try to read slow, and
enjoy. ;-). Too much of my life is already in overdrive.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/