Down with tinyurl! (was Re: importing excel data into a python matrix?)

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Sun Sep 19 23:53:06 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-20, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 06:16:49 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>> Please don't use tinyurl -- it's opaque and provides zero help to anyone
>> who might later want to look it up (and also no accessibility if tinyurl
>> ever goes down).  At the very least, include the original URL for
>> reference.

> Do you have something against tinyurl in particular, or would any URL
> shortener service also get your ire?

I'd assume all of them have the same essential problems:

* No hint as to what site you'll be getting redirected to.
* No cues from URL as to what the link is to.
* If the service ever goes away, the links become pure noise.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net