Too much code - slicing

AK andrei.avk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 22:04:26 EDT 2010

On 09/18/2010 09:08 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:00:32 -0400, AK<andrei.avk at gmail.com>  declaimed
> the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>

>> Funny that you should say that, because I thought quite a few times that
>> it would be really awesome if some texts in English had syntax
>> highlighting. Obviously, not Brothers Karamazov, but something like a
>> tutorial, or a manual, or an online article. If key words were
>> highlighted, I'd be able to quickly glance over parts that are not
>> useful to me at the time, and find the interesting bits.
>>
>> For instance, in the above paragraph I'd highlight 'awesome', 'English',
>> 'syntax highlighting', 'tutorial', 'manual', 'online article',
>> 'quickly glance over', 'not useful', 'find', 'interesting bits'.
>>

> 	Syntax highlighting is more likely to identify: be, if, had, but,
> like, or, were, are, not, and. That is, the (relatively) fixed
> connectors between arbitrary nouns and concepts.

Yes, I didn't mean that it's exactly the same, of course. Python being
much more formal than English means automatic syntax highlight can be
useful, as obviously many people find it; although this gave me an
interesting idea: if you had a long text that you wished to read
quickly, it might be more efficient to do syntax highlight of all verbs,
quickly scan through the text, then syntax highlight of all nouns, do
another quick scan, and then turn off syntax highlight and concentrate
on the parts that you did not understand while scanning. Is there a
program that'd do something like that?

  -ak