compiling python 3.1.2 with local readline fails to get readline - help!

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Wed Sep 15 20:12:08 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM, gavino <gavcomedy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I compiled readline 6.1 myself.
>
> #  ./configure --prefix=/home/apps/python --disable-shared --with-
> pymalloc --with-threads --with-pth --enable-big-digits --disable-ipv6
> --enable-readline --with-readline=/home/apps/readline/lib/
> #  make -j14
> modules not installed:
> ........    readline   .........
>
> Python starts but no readline.
>
> What is the proper configure flag to use a locally compiled readline?
> I tried with and without --with-readline and with readline/ and
> readline/lib as shown above.
> thx for help

AFAIK, there are no "readline" specific options in python 2.x's
./configure options:

# pwd
/usr/ports/opt/python/Python-2.6.5
# ./configure --help | grep readline -i
#

I could be wrong... Are you sure you've configured and compile
readline correctly and that you've set the appropriate environment
variables and paths for C/C++ compilers (eg: GCC) to pick it up ?

cheers
James

--
-- James Mills