is there a way to get the encoding of python file

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 15:00:19 EDT 2010

 On 12-09-2010 19:28, Robert Kern wrote:
> On 9/12/10 4:14 AM, Stef Mientki wrote:
>>   hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to get the encoding of a python file from the first source line,
>> (if there's any),
>> after importing it ( with '__import__' )
>>
>> # -*- coding: windows-1252 -*-
>
> The regular expression used to match the encoding declaration is given here:
>
> http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#encoding-declarations

yes, but then I've to read the first line of the file myself.

In the meanwhile I found  another (better ?) solution, (I'm using Python 2.6)

Place these 2 lines at the top of the file
# -*- coding: windows-1252 -*-
from __future__ import unicode_literals

or these
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from __future__ import unicode_literals

then you always get the correct unicode string back.

thanks,
Stef