Frustrating segfaults with Shelf

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Sep 13 14:09:40 EDT 2010

On 9/13/2010 10:05 AM Edward Grefenstette said...
> Dear Pythonistas,
>
> Below is a simple script that reads relations from a generator
> (they're just tuples of strings) and attempts to write them to a
> database. It's simple as hell,

Ecept of course that no one else can test it due to the dependencies.

> and if I simply ignore the database and
> have it print to stdout by replacing the line "depsDB[str(index)] =
> rels" with "print rels" it works just fine. However every time I try
> to run it just inexplicably segfaults. Help, anyone?

There are reported problems with the backend database in pre 2.3 python
versions.  There are also known problems with shelves being accessed by
differing versions.

So, I'd start by updating as needed, creating a new repository, then
testing that.  Once it works, migrate the data over if needed.

If it doesn't work, it'll be tough to help out if narrowing things down
to a specific reproducible test case is difficult.  Describe the
debugging techniques you're trying with the results you're getting, and
we can help contribute with other things to try.

HTH,

Emile