The Samurai Principle

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 01:20:46 EDT 2010

> In message<mailman.654.1284158340.29448.python-list at python.org>, Robert
> Kern wrote:
>
>> On 9/10/10 5:17 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> But None *is* actual data.
>>
>> And that is exactly the reason why the Samurai Principle says to not
>> return None when the function fails to do what it intended to do.
>
> How can the function “fail” when it returns what it is specified to return?

The Samurai Principle is about what specifications and guarantees a programmer
should make about his functions. It gives advice for programmers on how to
specify their functions in the face of failure conditions the function itself
sees. For example, a function that is supposed to fetch a record from a database
given a key, a failure condition would be that the key does not exist in the
database. Or the connection times out, or anything else that prevents the
function from retrieving a correct record for the key. The Principle says that a
programmer should specify his function such that it raises an exception to
signify this failure rather than to return None.

Of course, a programmer may make his functions' contracts as loose as he
pleases, and thus returning None may be "correct" in the sense that it satisfies
those contracts. The Principle simply advises that making such contracts is not
a good idea.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."