Hide DOS console for .pyc file

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Sep 11 05:37:06 EDT 2010

  On 2:59 PM, Muddy Coder wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> For a quick testing purpose, I deliver .pyc files to my customer. I
> don't want the black DOS console appearing behind my GUI, but I have
> no idea how to do it. Somebody can help? Thanks!
>

> Cosmo

In Windows, the executable file statically determines whether a console
is created.  There are two executables shipped with Python,  python.exe
and pythonw.exe.  You want to use the latter.

The real question is how to cause Windows to run that rather than
python.exe.  Answer depends on how your use is launching his program.

If he's starting from a shortcut, change the name of the executable on
the shortcut.  If he's starting by double-clicking on the script name,
change the extension of the script from .py to .pyw

You mention that you're shipping only .pyc files.  If that's the case,
add one more, a .pyw that imports your main script.  Of course, that may
mean changing that script a little so it works as a module.

DaveA