32 bit bdist_wininst vs x64 platform

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Sep 10 07:57:21 EDT 2010

On 10/09/2010 09:52, Robin Becker wrote:

>> As you mention, 32bit apps querying the registry get redirected in some cases -
>> but so long as the 32bit bdist_wininst stub is used, that too will get
>> redirected, so it should all work out fine. Is it possible they are attempting
>> to install an x64 version of reportlab on a 32bit python?
>
> I'm a bit puzzled about this as well, they mentioned something about the python
> being embedded so perhaps that's the problem. I am trying to ascertain the exact
> context.

I found out that although the end users had installed the amd64 python they were
using reportlab-2.4.win32-py2.6.exe which is 32 bit. That complained until they
fixed everything up by brute force registry copying. Fortunately, I don't think
the pyds are importable and reportlab is robust enough to fall back to a working
state even without those.
--
Robin Becker